Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Basic Baking" Recipe 4

Blondies

Wow! The first thing I must say is that I never expected it to take me so long to finally make these blondies, but the day has finally arrived! Today I made the Blondies recipe from Basic Baking by Lora Brody. I made them to be the dessert to the meal I made for dinner tonight.

Ok, so first things first... Ingredients list! Here it is: all-purpose flour, salt, butter, light brown sugar, dark brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract.

So... Blondies. Yeah, when I first saw a recipe in here for blondies, I totally thought "Yep, not gonna like these" but as it turns out, blondies are actually much better than I thought. I had never tried blondies before tonight, and I think I kind of thought they were something else. But now that I've actually had the joy of making and eating these blondies, I know that my ideas were way wrong before.

As for the creation of this wonderful dessert, it was one of the easiest recipes I've made from Basic Baking so far. First, I prepared a 9x9 baking dish by coating the bottom and sides with butter, putting aluminum foil on the bottom of the pan, and then coating that with butter. Then the pan was set aside.

I combined the butter and both brown sugars in a saucepan and stirred until the sugar dissolved and became smooth. I let it cool for about 10 minutes, then added the rest of the ingredients and mixed until well-blended. I poured the batter into the previously prepared baking dish, put it in the preheated oven, and baked it for about 30 minutes. After it was done, I put the baking dish on a wire rack to cool (and finished making dinner).

From start to finish, it took me about an hour and a half to complete this recipe (including 30 minutes of cooling time). We ate our dinner (Pork cutlet, garlic mashed potatoes, and a side salad) and then had the Blondies for dessert.

To illustrate how GOOD these blondies were... my husband and I are currently doing Weight Watchers (which REALLY works, by the way) and so after B had finished his dinner and eaten a blondie, he only had enough points left to eat one more thing without going over his daily limit. He debated whether he wanted a second piece of pork cutlet or another blondie, and was having quite a difficult time deciding, but in the end he couldn't decide at all and ended up going over his daily points allowance so he could have both!

So if I had to choose my favorite recipe from Basic Baking (from the 4 recipes I've already made) the Blondies recipe is DEFINITELY my favorite so far! It was SO good. I'm seriously tempted to eat a third(!) piece, but I will refrain myself.

Anyway, here's a picture of the final product:


Yum, yum, YUM! is all I have to say about this recipe!!!

Next up is Sticky Hands Caramel Bars. Check back later to read about the next recipe in Basic Baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment