Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Basic Baking" Recipe 3

Birthday Cake Brownies

Wow, so it's been quite a while since the last time I posted on here. September was a busy, busy month for me, but I finally got to the next recipe yesterday! This recipe is called Birthday Cake Brownies and I'm assuming they get their name because they are brownies that have the texture and consistency of cake.

This recipe calls for: all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, unsweetened chocolate, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, light corn syrup, eggs, vanilla extract, and milk.

The recipe itself was easy enough to follow. I prepared the baking pan, sifted the first three ingredients together and set it aside, melted the chocolate and set it aside, mixed the other ingredients together, then added the previously set aside ingredients. Easy, right?

Well, apparently not, because the brownies did not turn out right. Perhaps I did something wrong, didn't follow the directions as correctly as I thought, but the brownies came out crumbly and just didn't look right. The picture below shows the final product.


It may not be a good enough picture for you to see the crumbliness of the brownies (although, now that I'm thinking about it, this might actually be a picture of the bottoms of the brownies and not the tops, which looked the most crumbly).

Now, you may be thinking... "Brownies are supposed to be crumbly". Well, that's true but these particular brownies were not the right kind of crumbly. I don't know how else to explain it other than it just didn't look right. Oh, well. At least I attempted the recipe, right?

In any case, as far as length of time goes, everything I did up until putting it in the oven took around 45 minutes. Then there was an additional time of 25 minutes to bake.

I will say this: even though the brownies don't look right to me, they still tasted good. The flavor of the chocolate is all there; it's just the presentation that failed for this particular recipe.

As for my next post, I promise I will not wait another month, but due to the cost of buying ingredients and the fact that there are usually only two of us to eat the food, there will probably be a week or so between posts from now on. But I hope you continue reading.

I will leave you with this: The next recipe is titled "Blondies". Brownies... without the chocolate. What a concept!

Until next time... Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment